Residential Suites/Apodments for the HENC?
At the previous City Council meeting, council members asked staff for more information regarding Residential Suites (aka apodments).
Zoning Code definition of “Residential Suites”: A structure containing single room living units with a minimum floor area of 120 square feet and maximum floor area of 350 square feet offered on a monthly basis or longer where residents share bathroom and/or kitchen facilities.... For purposes of zones where minimum density or affordable housing is required, each living unit shall equate to one (1) dwelling unit.
Parking Requirements for Residential Suites include:
- Parking requirement is 0.5 stalls/unit plus one/on site employee, if a parking management plan is approved by the City, implemented by the property owner and recorded with King County;
- Otherwise the parking requirement is one stall/unit plus one stall/on site employee;
Comparing parking for Residential Suites to more traditional multi-family units would be 2 spaces for 4 residential suites compared to 4.8 spaces for 4 studios, or 4.1 spaces for a mix of 1 studio (1.2 spaces), 1-one bedroom (1.3 spaces), and 1 – two bedroom unit (1.6 spaces). Or 3.2 for 2 two-bedroom in its (same number of beds).
- Read the materials for Tuesday's meeting found by clicking here.
- Send comments and concerns to Kirkland City Council members here.
- Attend Tuesday's meeting, listen to the discussion and/or give feedback during the items from the audience portion.