A motion was passed to elect the following officers for 2015:
- Chair: Brian Staples
- Vice Chair: Lisa McConnell
- Secretary: Cathy Whiteside
- Treasure: Erika Somm
Talon Private Capital principals provided a presentation on the new Kirkland Parkplace
Talon Private Capital has partnered with Prudential to redevelop Kirkland’s Parkplace. Talon has replaced Touchstone in the partnership with Prudential and is working on a plan for redeveloping Kirkland Parkplace. It will be smaller than what Touchstone had proposed several years ago. Hear what plans Talon has for the property.
- City Council is taking comments on 2/17
- QFC will remain operational the entire time
- There will be two underground parking areas 2 levels for retail and 2 levels for office space
- 650K sq ft will be office, 225K sq ft will be retail, and 300K sq ft will be multi-residential. This is an increase in residential with 10% affordable housing (1 & 2 bedroom studios for rent), up to 300 units
- 75K sq ft open space and 50K sq ft sidewalks, this includes a public plaza, QFC is 45-50K sq ft, currently ~25K sq ft.
- Health Club included
- 35K sq ft is movie theatre with 10 screens
- Looking to open up Central Way to pedestrian traffic and integrate egress to park
- There will be 4 office buildings
- Above the new QFC will be multi-family
- QFC will have 200+ stalls with 1/3 outside and the remainder in the underground garage
- Above the movie theatre will be office
- There is no height variance for this project
- This project has 40% less impact on traffic as Touchstone project
- Most likely new light at Central Way and 5th ST.
- Next step design review with construction starting Q1 2016
- Expecting to develop in Phases, with a phase lasting 2 years
For more information on the Parkplace Development:
Update on the Aquatics Recreation Community Center
Linda Murphy and Jennifer Schroder from the Kirkland Parks and Community Service Department gave an update on the Aquatics Recreation Center. The City of Kirkland is committed to meeting the recreation needs of it community, including the need to provide aquatic programs for recreational and competitive swimming.
- The plan is try to get the following into the ARC
- Community Room/Banquet Room, 1 or 2 Gyms, jogging track, kid area, 2 pools (1 lap pool, 1 leisure pool), deep diving and program space
- Originally up against the deadline of the bond passing, 6 sites were reviewed that were owned by the city. Out of those two site are still being considered; area across from Juanita Beach and the NKCC. The NKCC has two possible configurations.
- The city has put together a virtual open house for these two options. One key goal is to identify the community’s preference to locate the facility on city-owned or privately-owned property. Comprehensive background information and a brief questionnaire are available at the Kirkland ARC Center “Virtual Open House,” http://kirklandarc.publicmeeting.info/.
- For more information about the Aquatics Center http://www.kirklandwa.gov/depart/parks/Park_Planning/Park_Planning___Development/Aquatic_Center_Partnership_Project.htm
- Officer Thune stopped to provide an update on our neighborhood. Crime is slow in the winter time, however, there continues to be break-ins to homes and cars. Watch your mailboxes as tax information can be used in identity theft. Remember to keep your doors locked and call the police department for any unusual behavior in your neighborhood.
Update on Kirkland Alliance of Neighborhoods (KAN) Communication Workshop
Lisa McConnell and Brian Staples attended a workshop put on by KAN which discussed different communication strategies neighborhoods are using to reach out and engage their residents. There will be a brief discussion on what the Central Houghton Neighborhood Association might use as we move forward - mail chimp? Nextdoor? Constant Contact? If you have a great way for us to engage you and your neighbors, bring it to the meeting, send us some email, leave us a comment on Facebook, or on our website – http://www.houghtonlives.com.
Next meeting is on Wednesday, March 4th at 7pm.
Thanks and check out what is going on in the neighborhood at:
On the web at http://www.houghtonlives.com
On Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/1376693919236398/