Thank you to the 50+ people who attended our Nov. 30 meeting at the Houghton Fire Station. We had a presentation and Q&A session with Deb Eddy, Eastside Rail Corridor Program Manager for the King County Council. We discussed next steps and how individuals, like you, can get involved and make a difference. Thank you to Deb Eddy for speaking to us as it is always good to hear from our government to better understand the impacts and implications governmental policies will have on us.
Several proposed themes were presented at this meeting and we have settled on one. We are keeping things simple and concise: Save Our Trail. This message is easy to remember and speaks to the widest audience. You may personally have additional arguments to make and we encourage you to do so.
1. Next Meeting - Our next Save Our Trail meeting will take place December 14 at 6:00 pm at the Nytec Building (located on the trail at 416 Sixth Street South).
2. Your Expertise is Needed - Is there any credible study (or could someone do one quickly) showing that E02's planned park-and-ride, side transit routes, and bike/walking connections to Kirkland's downtown, Park Place, Totem Lake and other employment and shopping centers would be better than Corridor BRT would provide? We hope so, especially considering the difficulty of creating park-and-ride facilities near the Corridor, vs. creating them near I-405. Please let us know if you or someone you know may be able to help.
3. Community Meetings to Attend - Speak out during Items from the Audience at various public meetings held during the month of December. Here are a few suggestions:
- Attend your December neighborhood meeting
- Attend City Council special meeting December 8
City Council Study Session & Special Meeting, Chamber
Study Session, 6:00 p.m.
Healthy Kirkland Initiative Update
Special Meeting, 7:30 p.m.
Rest of Agenda...
- Attend Houghton Community Council special meeting December 14 at 7:00 pm
4. Get the word out - Communicate with your friends and neighbors and encourage them to learn more about this subject, speak at public meetings, write letters to the Sound Transit Board and the Kirkland City Council as well as letters to the editor. Get more details at http://saveourtrail.org/get-involved
5. Help Wanted - We need YOU to step up and use your skills to organize, lead and coordinate efforts such as this. Contact us!
6. Print at Home Flyer - Save Our Trail flyers to print at home click here, http://saveourtrail.org/print-at-home-flyer.
Finally, some folks have requested yard signs and banner artwork. This project has been pushed out until our next meeting on Dec. 14 as we need to ensure that the messaging we have on our Save Our Trail banners is finalized before printing. We will have an update on Dec. 14.
Thank you for being involved in our city.
Rob and Save Our Trail Team